Re: Newbie trying to get his feet wet

From: Bill Cable <billcable_at_gmail.com>
Date: 21 Mar 2007 21:33:06 -0700

On Mar 21, 10:55 pm, "Ana C. Dent" <anaced..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> It takes multiple years to wrap your head head around Oracle.
> Most companies stop functioning when the database is down.
> Nobody will hire a "paper" DBA without any real world experience
> to bring up a down database & bet their company's future on you.

Well, I'm not expecting to be hired as a senior DBA out of the gate. I'm just hoping to get my foot in the door. And I'm not totally lacking in database experience. I've been managing the SQL database for my web site for about 5 years now, and have been supporting three different databases here at work for over 7. But those are proprietary systems based on Win95-era technology... not exactly resume gold. We're installing a new system based on Sybase over the summer, but still it seems like the real demand where I'm looking to move is with Oracle.

But anyway, I came here hoping for a little help, not to conduct a job interview. ;-) Thanks for the insight.

--
Bill Cable - Steelers Fan & Star Wars Collector
http://CreatureCantina.com   <----- funny!