Caching for "LIKE" queries?

From: fraserofthenight <fraserofthenight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 20 Mar 2007 12:30:57 -0700

Hi,

I was wondering what sort of caching is done for repeated queries, and how long results stay in the cache. For example, suppose I had a table named "files" in which there was a (varchar, nonclustered-indexed) field called "name", taht is queried with a query similar to "SELECT * FROM files WHERE name LIKE (?)". If one user queried "harry" and the next user queried "harry potter", would any caching have been done, as teh results of the second query would most likely be a subset of the results of the first. What if the files table had been changed in between?

Specifically, I'm wondering if I should implement a cache at the application level (or in the database, since all the queries are called using stored procs -- is this a good idea at all?), or whether the database will take care of that for me.

Thanks,
Fraser Received on Tue Mar 20 2007 - 14:30:57 CDT