Re: Backing up large database

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 17:16:13 -0500

dbaplusplus_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> Subject: Backing up large (500GB) database
>
> My Oracle version is 8.1.6.1 (yes, it is 8i and I have to support it
> because of reasons
> beyond my control).
>
> I have been using RMAN/Netbackup. Database servers reside in some
> location which is not in same data center where Netbackup servers
> reside. As a result, full backups take long time (5+ hours) for our
> current database which is only 10GB. Now we
> will be setting up a data warehouse (500GB). It is data warehouse, but
> incremental changes will be done daily. I will be doing full backup
> every weekend and incremental backups other days. What I am concerned
> is amount of time it is going to take to do
> 500GB database backup.
>
> For 10GB database, we only use 1 RMAN channel. We are planning to use
> multiple channels for data warehouse backup. I have read database
> administration guide and backup/recovery guides.
>
> Appreciate any ideas you can provide based on your experience or any
> pointers will be helpful.
>
> Thanks a lot

5+ hours to back up a 10GB database? That seems like a very long time to me. You would be right to be concerned with this performance if you expect to backup a 500GB database. Have you considered backing up to local disk and then FTP'ing to your backup server in another location? Are there other issues (network-wise) in communicating between the two locations?

Rather than focusing on making RMAN run faster by incorporating multiple channels, etc. maybe it would be best to take a look at why this is taking so long in the first place. Where is your true bottleneck in this process? I don't think it is with RMAN. So focusing your performance tuning on RMAN will most likely result in little gain.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net