Re: Cannot kill a user connected to the database

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 19 Mar 2007 17:48:00 -0700

On Mar 19, 5:39 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> yaru22 wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I have to kill this user on my database but it cannot be killed.
>
> > When I check v$session, there's the user.
>
> > However, when I try to kill the user by
>
> > alter system kill session 'sid,serial#' immediate
>
> > It says ORA-00030: User session ID does not exist.
>
> > How should I do in this case?
>
> > I couldn't even shutdown the database.
>
> > Whenever I try to shutdown the database, it just hangs.
>
> > Thank you.
>
> What version?
>
> What is the result of the following query?
> SELECT osuser, schemaname, state, status
> FROM gv$session;
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damor..._at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)
> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org- Hide quoted text -

What version of Oracle? What platform?

I have encountered where Oracle would claim that session that appeared in v$session did not exist when we attempted to kill it via Oracle. First check to make sure the OS level session background process has in fact been terminated. If not, try killing it from the UNIX environment.

If the background session process is gone but the session still shows in v$session try bouncing Oracle. If you do not want to bounce then as long as the phanton session is not causing any problems just live with it till you can bounce.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Mon Mar 19 2007 - 19:48:00 CDT