Re: Question about RMAN

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 19 Mar 2007 17:40:29 -0700

On Mar 16, 5:57 pm, "emdproduct..._at_hotmail.com" <emdproduction(nospam)@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Group,
>
> I am using RMAN of Oracle 9208 on Windows without catalog.
>
> I have a question, if I
> CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO RECOVERY WINDOW OF 29 DAYS,
> what should I set control_file_record_keep_time, should it be 29? Greater
> than 29, less than 29 or it does not matter?
>
> Thanks for your help.

See http://www.dizwell.com/prod/node/204 - "A month of Sundays would do quite nicely."

You may see some alert log messages about the controlfile expanding. It's actually hit-or-miss as to whether records will be overrwritten in the controlfile when cfrkt is similar to the retention policy, but if you are trying to restore something a month old and you can't, not fun. Also see http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96566/rcmrecov.htm#1007319 , be sure you have autobackups set.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5ul7prwoiM (marginally not work-