Re: User Defined Metrics - No data

From: Robert Klemme <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 15:45:38 +0100

On 13.03.2007 14:20, Robert Klemme wrote:
> On 13.03.2007 13:16, Robert Klemme wrote:

>> I have a Oracle 10.2.0.1.0 on RedHat EL4.  I defined a user defined
>> metric with a SELECT statement and verified that the query works for
>> the user.  But unfortunately no values show up.
>>
>> I searched around MetaLink and found Note:284707.1 which reminded me
>> that the host name was changed *after* Oracle installation (I know,
>> this is something you should not do but I didn't set up the system in
>> the first place).
>>
>> So, I suspect that there still might be something broken - probably in
>> the area of communication.  I'd appreciate any pointers where I can find
>> error messages or see what is actually going on.  EM itself does not
>> seem to be very helpful here.  Thanks a lot!

> Update: I actually got a notification email indicating a problem with
> data collection. It reads:
>
> Name=orcl
> Type=Database Instance
> Host=localhost.localdomain
> Metric=Status
> Timestamp=Mar 13, 2007 11:42:35 AM CET
> Severity=Metric Error Start
> Message=Metric evaluation error start
> Rule Name=Metrik der DB kritisch
> Rule Owner=BACKUPSYS

Further update. I got it resolved now. One part of the problem was that configured password for user "dbsnmp" in the DB and in EM were out of sync. Since I fixed that the entry in the table of metric collection errors has gone and I also received an email notification that the error is fixed:

Name=orcl
Type=Database Instance
Host=localhost.localdomain

Metric=Status
Timestamp=Mar 16, 2007 12:16:08 PM CET
Severity=Metric Error Clear
Message=Metric evaluation error end
Rule Name=Metrik der DB kritisch
Rule Owner=BACKUPSYS

It also occurred to me that I wrote the query in a way that it will return NULL most of the time. While that is ok for me, do you guys think it's better to let it return 0 instead so EM thinks he has a continuous stream of data points? Are there any disadvantages other than that there will only be data for part of the time in EM visible?

Kind regards

        robert Received on Mon Mar 19 2007 - 09:45:38 CDT