Re: Scheduling RMAN backups with NOARCHIVELOG

From: Digeratus 2006 <digeratus2006_at_nospam.hotmaildotcom>
Date: 18 Mar 2007 22:47:32 GMT

"Andy Kent" <andykent.bristol1095_at_virgin.net> wrote in news:1174047276.127045.236650_at_y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

> Setting up RMAN on 10g r2 on Red Hat Linux.
>
> If I schedule a backup through Enterprise Manager for a database with
> NOARCHIVELOG (yes I know - this is under review), will EM perform a
> shutdown or will the backup simply fail?
>
> Thanks
>
> Andy

I do not trust EM to do a good job of shutting down an Oracle database. There is a 0.1% chance that the database will not shut down. EM would need to be smart enough to wait for x minutes and then do a shutdown abort, startup restrict, shutdown immediate, startup mount. This isn't too bad for one database, but we have hundreds so we rely on automated scripts that we have control over.

If this is your first database, use EM, it usually works.

HTH, Andy Young Received on Sun Mar 18 2007 - 17:47:32 CDT