Re: Help with sql query speed. Explain plan included

From: <JL19348_at_HOTMAIL.CO.UK>
Date: 18 Mar 2007 09:08:49 -0700

On Mar 15, 3:49 pm, "fitzjarr..._at_cox.net" <fitzjarr..._at_cox.net> wrote:
> [...]
> > and t0.questionnumber=tx.questionnumber
> > and t0.answer=tx.answer
> > and t0.residentid=1486674
> > group by tx.residentid
> > having count(*)>10;
>
> > The problem with this query is that it only returns 177 rows yet takes
> > "Elapsed: 00:01:10.75" which is about 70 seconds.
>
> > The only thing that is important to us is query speed. If the data
> > needs restructuring to get speed then this is OK. But firstly is there
> > a better SQL to this without restructuring of data.
>
> > The plan statistics are calculated on 100% of rows in all tables with
> > cascade at 2am every morning. They are up to date.
>
> > Here is my plan. Index idxe has been created with "create unique index
> > idxe on test1(residentid,questionnumber,answer)". Just in case it
> > matters, there are no other table indexes but can easily add them if
> > it improves performance.
>
> > We use 10.2 on a Solaris V245.
>
> > Thank you for helping in advance.
> > John
>
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­-----------
> > | Id | Operation | Name | Rows | Bytes |TempSpc| Cost
> > (%CPU)| Time |
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­-----------
> > | 0 | SELECT STATEMENT | | 33322 | 715K| | 26691
> > (7)| 00:05:21 |
> > |* 1 | FILTER | | | |
> > | | |
> > | 2 | HASH GROUP BY | | 33322 | 715K| 21M| 26691
> > (7)| 00:05:21 |
> > |* 3 | HASH JOIN | | 666K| 13M| | 24919
> > (7)| 00:05:00 |
> > |* 4 | INDEX RANGE SCAN | IDXE | 22 | 242 | | 3
> > (0)| 00:00:01 |
> > |* 5 | TABLE ACCESS FULL| TEST1 | 37M| 398M| | 24428
> > (6)| 00:04:54 |
>
> > PLAN_TABLE_OUTPUT
> > Predicate Information (identified by operation id):
>
> > 1 - filter(COUNT(*)>10)
> > 3 - access("T0"."QUESTIONNUMBER"="TX"."QUESTIONNUMBER" AND
> > "T0"."ANSWER"="TX"."ANSWER")
> > filter("T0"."RESIDENTID"<>"TX"."RESIDENTID")
> > 4 - access("T0"."RESIDENTID"=1486674)
> > 5 - filter("TX"."RESIDENT"<>1486674)
>
> > 22 rows selected.
>
> What is causing you 'grief' is this:
>
> where t0.residentid!=tx.residentid
>
> An index on residentid won't help here as you're asking for every
> record EXCEPT one; even with an index present given that condition you
> really can't avoid a full table scan and you don't want to. But I
> think that's not really the issue here, I think this might be a
> situation where your sort area may be much too small for such a task
> and you're swapping out to disk instead of doing such sorts in memory
> (group by queries tend to order the data by the grouped columns,
> though I wouldn't recommend using this behaviour to ensure ordered
> output). I would have your DBA check if you're sorting to disk; if so
> (and I believe you are) the sort_area_size should be increased. Once
> that's done try your query again; you may find it runs in less time.

Charles and David. Thank you for your help on this. Our DBA has reset the hash_area_size. She has forward this to me for the sort_area_size and hash_area_size.

SQL> SHOW PARAMETER sort_area_size

NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE
------------------------------------ -----------
------------------------------
sort_area_size                       integer     31457280
SQL> SHOW PARAMETER hash_area_size
NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE
------------------------------------ -----------
------------------------------
hash_area_size                       integer     293601280
SQL> The query time is now typically between 10 and 20seconds which is a lot better than 70 seconds. Better still would be less than 10 seconds.

Our development database is a clone of the production database taken every week. The data I was working on has now changed sadly. I have asked for my data to not be renewed so that there is no moving target. But the number of rows in the table and the data distribution are close. I have taken a 10104 trace as Charles suggested and then run tkprof on it. The output is below. I will not post the original trace file because it is too big and people may get annoyed having to download it. Despite the query executing now in 10-20 seconds, can you see anything obvious to reduce the time further and improve performance. The only thing our users are interested in is query speed.

Thank you again
John

TKPROF: Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on Sun Mar 18 15:51:20 2007

Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Trace file:
Sort options: prscpu

count    = number of times OCI procedure was executed
cpu      = cpu time in seconds executing
elapsed  = elapsed time in seconds executing
disk     = number of physical reads of buffers from disk
query    = number of buffers gotten for consistent read
current  = number of buffers gotten in current mode (usually for
update)
rows     = number of rows processed by the fetch or execute call

EXPLAIN PLAN option disabled.

Alter session set SQL_Trace = true

call     count       cpu    elapsed       disk      query
current        rows

------- ------ -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
Parse        1      0.00       0.00          0          0
0           0
Execute      1      0.00       0.00          0          0
0           0
Fetch        0      0.00       0.00          0          0
0           0

------- ------ -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
total        2      0.00       0.00          0          0
0           0

Misses in library cache during parse: 1
Optimizer mode: ALL_ROWS
Parsing user id: 36

Elapsed times include waiting on following events:

  Event waited on                             Times   Max. Wait  Total
Waited

ALTER SESSION SET EVENTS '10104 TRACE NAME CONTEXT FOREVER, LEVEL 8'

call     count       cpu    elapsed       disk      query
current        rows

------- ------ -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
Parse        1      0.00       0.00          0          0
0           0
Execute      2      0.00       0.00          0          0
0           0
Fetch        0      0.00       0.00          0          0
0           0

------- ------ -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
total        3      0.00       0.00          0          0
0           0

Misses in library cache during parse: 1
Optimizer mode: ALL_ROWS
Parsing user id: 36

Elapsed times include waiting on following events:

  Event waited on                             Times   Max. Wait  Total
Waited

select tx.residentid
 from test1 t0,test1 tx
  where t0.residentid!=tx.residentid
   and t0.questionnumber=tx.questionnumber    and t0.answer=tx.answer
   and t0.residentid=74134
    group by tx.residentid
     having count(*)>10;

call     count       cpu    elapsed       disk      query
current        rows

------- ------ -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
Parse        1      0.00       0.00          0          0
0           0
Execute      1      0.00       0.00          0          0
0           0
Fetch       16     22.58      22.09      23874      59075
0         213

------- ------ -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
total       18     22.58      22.09      23874      59075
0         213

Misses in library cache during parse: 0
Optimizer mode: ALL_ROWS
Parsing user id: 36

Rows Row Source Operation

-------  ---------------------------------------------------

    213 FILTER (cr=59075 pr=23874 pw=0 time=22076561 us) 1206039 HASH GROUP BY (cr=59075 pr=23874 pw=0 time=23895072 us) 5084617 HASH JOIN (cr=59075 pr=23874 pw=0 time=30510206 us)

     22 INDEX RANGE SCAN IDXE (cr=3 pr=0 pw=0 time=104 us)(object id 13647)
26532858 TABLE ACCESS FULL TEST1 (cr=59072 pr=23874 pw=0 time=53065796 us)

Elapsed times include waiting on following events:

  Event waited on                             Times   Max. Wait  Total
Waited

Alter session set SQL_Trace = false

call     count       cpu    elapsed       disk      query
current        rows

------- ------ -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
Parse        1      0.00       0.00          0          0
0           0
Execute      1      0.00       0.00          0          0
0           0
Fetch        0      0.00       0.00          0          0
0           0

------- ------ -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
total        2      0.00       0.00          0          0
0           0

Misses in library cache during parse: 0
Optimizer mode: ALL_ROWS
Parsing user id: 36

Elapsed times include waiting on following events:

  Event waited on                             Times   Max. Wait  Total
Waited

OVERALL TOTALS FOR ALL NON-RECURSIVE STATEMENTS

call     count       cpu    elapsed       disk      query
current        rows

------- ------ -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
Parse        4      0.00       0.00          0          0
0           0
Execute      5      0.00       0.00          0          0
0           0
Fetch       16     22.58      22.09      23874      59075
0         213

------- ------ -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
total       25     22.58      22.09      23874      59075
0         213

Misses in library cache during parse: 2
Elapsed times include waiting on following events:

  Event waited on                             Times   Max. Wait  Total
Waited

OVERALL TOTALS FOR ALL RECURSIVE STATEMENTS

call     count       cpu    elapsed       disk      query
current        rows

------- ------ -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
Parse        0      0.00       0.00          0          0
0           0
Execute      0      0.00       0.00          0          0
0           0
Fetch        0      0.00       0.00          0          0
0           0

------- ------ -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
total        0      0.00       0.00          0          0
0           0

Misses in library cache during parse: 0

    4 user SQL statements in session.
    0 internal SQL statements in session.     4 SQL statements in session.
    0 statements EXPLAINed in this session.

Trace file:
Trace file compatibility: 10.01.00
Sort options: prscpu
       0  session in tracefile.
       4  user  SQL statements in trace file.
       0  internal SQL statements in trace file.
       4  SQL statements in trace file.
       4  unique SQL statements in trace file.
     617  lines in trace file.
      22  elapsed seconds in trace file.