Re: Help me design a table

From: Anoop <>
Date: 17 Mar 2007 20:16:20 -0700

On Mar 17, 12:41 pm, DA Morgan <> wrote:
> Anoop wrote:
> >> Do you call this 'design'? It is just a MESS, because it is fully
> >> denormalized. Consequently it can't be updated properly.
> >> I would recommed you go to school and ask your money back.
> >> Next time, please do your homework before posting, and don't ask such
> >> ridiculous questions.
> >> --
> >> Sybrand Bakker
> >> Senior Oracle DBA
> > Oh no this is not homework...It is my work. It is ridiculous I agree.
> > I know how to normalize tables and have done a lot of normalization.
> > The problem here is that I cannot attempt normalization as the product
> > I am using offers an interface that needs a single table with a
> > primary key. Had it been a simple normalization of data it would have
> > been a lot easier and I would not have had to post this question
> > here....
> bank - non null (varchar(100))
> If this, above, isn't homework then you need to change professions.
> Because it isn't Oracle either.
> Seriously ... I have students that after 3 weeks of the first
> academic quarter wouldn't make the multiple mistakes in the line
> I copied from your post.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> (replace x with u to respond)
> Puget Sound Oracle Users

It seems all you want to do is pick on the mistakes in my post. Ok - I meant varchar2.. I was not trying to be exact.. ( I work with almost every database there is - mysql one of them where varchar is used a lot). I thought you would get the crux of my issue and try to help. Actually I remm you have helped me in my previous posts - so a bit disappointed here this time...

My current design is working with the logic for ordering contained in the java layer. All I wanted to know was if Oracle (somehow) presents with an out of box solution to maintain order - or just an open discussion of how I could resolve my design problem better... I wanted to put some constraint checking within the table definition... I did not want to reinvent the wheel!

It just seems like you work in a perfect world where everything is possible - Life would be very easy if you could normalize every bit of data there is. But sometimes it is not, and that is why I approached this reputed list to get some help.
Here I am dealing with an external (3rd party) product over which I have little control. It uses a database table to reconcile user accounts... anyways. I think it is time I give up and pursue my original logic.

I will pursue my logic of checking the ordering using java - but now after some research I think a "nested table" would help me further - a pity that none could yet provide me an answer and there are 3 posts just interested in looking at the defects of my post or the inadequacies of my design....

Thank you. Received on Sat Mar 17 2007 - 22:16:20 CDT

Original text of this message