Re: Help me design a table

From: DA Morgan <>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 09:41:29 -0700

Anoop wrote:

> On Mar 17, 2:49 am, wrote:

>> On 16 Mar 2007 18:32:47 -0700, "Anoop" <> wrote:
>>> I need to design a table with the following columns. It is a table
>>> that will be read by a 3rd party product which allows little
>>> customization. The columns would be something like these:
>>> id - primary key
>>> bank - non null (varchar(100))
>>> access - non null (varchar(100))
>>> The requirement is that every "id" can have multiple "bank"'s
>>> associated with it and each of those banks can have an (a single)
>>> "access" associated with it.
>>> In order to satisfy this requirement, I suggested that we have have
>>> the "bank" column contain a comma separated list - and similarly - the
>>> "access" column will have comma separated values. And example of a row
>>> is like this:
>> Do you call this 'design'? It is just a MESS, because it is fully
>> denormalized. Consequently it can't be updated properly.
>> I would recommed you go to school and ask your money back.
>> Next time, please do your homework before posting, and don't ask such
>> ridiculous questions.
>> --
>> Sybrand Bakker
>> Senior Oracle DBA
> Oh no this is not homework...It is my work. It is ridiculous I agree.
> I know how to normalize tables and have done a lot of normalization.
> The problem here is that I cannot attempt normalization as the product
> I am using offers an interface that needs a single table with a
> primary key. Had it been a simple normalization of data it would have
> been a lot easier and I would not have had to post this question
> here....

bank - non null (varchar(100))

If this, above, isn't homework then you need to change professions. Because it isn't Oracle either.

Seriously ... I have students that after 3 weeks of the first academic quarter wouldn't make the multiple mistakes in the line I copied from your post.

Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington
(replace x with u to respond)
Puget Sound Oracle Users Group