Re: Help me design a table

From: Anoop <anoopkumarv_at_gmail.com>
Date: 17 Mar 2007 08:03:08 -0700

On Mar 17, 2:49 am, sybra..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> On 16 Mar 2007 18:32:47 -0700, "Anoop" <anoopkum..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I need to design a table with the following columns. It is a table
> >that will be read by a 3rd party product which allows little
> >customization. The columns would be something like these:
>
> >id - primary key
> >bank - non null (varchar(100))
> >access - non null (varchar(100))
>
> >The requirement is that every "id" can have multiple "bank"'s
> >associated with it and each of those banks can have an (a single)
> >"access" associated with it.
> >In order to satisfy this requirement, I suggested that we have have
> >the "bank" column contain a comma separated list - and similarly - the
> >"access" column will have comma separated values. And example of a row
> >is like this:
>
> Do you call this 'design'? It is just a MESS, because it is fully
> denormalized. Consequently it can't be updated properly.
> I would recommed you go to school and ask your money back.
>
> Next time, please do your homework before posting, and don't ask such
> ridiculous questions.
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

Oh no this is not homework...It is my work. It is ridiculous I agree.

I know how to normalize tables and have done a lot of normalization. The problem here is that I cannot attempt normalization as the product I am using offers an interface that needs a single table with a primary key. Had it been a simple normalization of data it would have been a lot easier and I would not have had to post this question here.... Received on Sat Mar 17 2007 - 10:03:08 CDT