Re: Help me design a table

From: <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 07:49:15 +0100

On 16 Mar 2007 18:32:47 -0700, "Anoop" <anoopkumarv_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>I need to design a table with the following columns. It is a table
>that will be read by a 3rd party product which allows little
>customization. The columns would be something like these:
>
>id - primary key
>bank - non null (varchar(100))
>access - non null (varchar(100))
>
>The requirement is that every "id" can have multiple "bank"'s
>associated with it and each of those banks can have an (a single)
>"access" associated with it.
>In order to satisfy this requirement, I suggested that we have have
>the "bank" column contain a comma separated list - and similarly - the
>"access" column will have comma separated values. And example of a row
>is like this:

Do you call this 'design'? It is just a MESS, because it is fully denormalized. Consequently it can't be updated properly. I would recommed you go to school and ask your money back.

Next time, please do your homework before posting, and don't ask such ridiculous questions.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA