Re: RAC/CRS and OCFS2

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 13:01:52 -0500

> By highly-available, I'm referring to making a file system available R/
> W from two or more nodes. Should a node fail, the file system would
> still be available from a second (or more) node. I am not expecting
> to load balance; simply minimize (or avoid) down time of the file
> system.
>
> My concern with CRS and OCFS2 is that both provide clustering services

<snip>

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong....but CRS and OCFS2 do two different things. CRS lets multiple nodes participate in a cluster. CRS manages the nodes from the cluster's perspective. CRS detects if one node goes down and let's the other nodes know this.

OCFS is a clustered file system. The clustered file system lets more than one node write the same file at seemingly the same time. OCFS is just another layer in the software.

Notice that CRS is for the nodes....OCFS is for the files (at least on a simplistic level). They do two different things. Oracle 10g lets you use CRS to manage the clustered nodes. You are not required to use a clustered file system since you can use RAW or ASM. But should you choose to use a clustered file system, then you can use OCFS on Windows or Linux. There are other clustered file systems available as well.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net