Re: Migration from old RAC to new RAC and ASM

From: <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 20:54:08 +0100

On 15 Mar 2007 12:46:56 -0700, "oracle_man" <oracle_man_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Mar 15, 12:31 pm, sybra..._at_gmail.com wrote:
>> On 15 Mar 2007 12:23:44 -0700, "oracle_man" <oracle_..._at_yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >All,
>>
>> >I have a 3 node cluster on x86-64 10.2.0.1.0 RHEL4 using ASM. I would
>> >like to build a new cluster same platform, but at 10.2.0.3.0. How can
>> >I migrate the data from the old to the new without using exp/imp or
>> >datapump. Exp/imp is not an option becuase we have one particular
>> >index that takes weeks to build.
>>
>> >All replies appreciated.
>>
>> Rman duplicate database?
>> Usually works like a charm.
>> You would need to set db_file_name_convert and log_file_name_convert
>> in the new database, but that is about all there is to it.
>>
>> --
>> Sybrand Bakker
>> Senior Oracle DBA
>
>Thanks Sybrand.
>
>Does it make any difference that I would be crossing versions, and
>that my ASM is raw?
>
>Rich

You aren't crossing releases so the database format should be the same. The worst which can happen is your target database needs to be migrated immediately, using the migration assistant. Duplicate database converts between raw and cooked. I don't see why ASM should go wrong, provided you use the correct syntax in db_filename_convert etc.
It might be the only option (apart from exp/imp), as you will probably have difficulty 'cloning' the database, as you go from RAW to ASM.

Hth

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA