Re: RAC/CRS and OCFS2

From: Matthias Hoys <anti_at_spam.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 20:24:16 +0100

"Keith" <kknauss_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1173966635.503876.130490_at_n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...
> Hello RAC gurus,
>
> I am currently running 10.2.0.3 RAC/CRS on RHEL4. All our database
> files are using ASM/raw devices. However, we now have the need for a
> clustered file system. This file system likely would not be used
> directly by the database, but requires high availability. So, we'd
> like to use OCFS2 -- which has prompted some questions:
>
> Are there any conflicts or issues with running OCFS2 and CRS
> concurrently?
> Can they share the same private interconnect?
> Would this be an Oracle supported configuration?
> If it is supported, is http://oss.oracle.com/projects/ocfs2/files/
> Oracle's preferred place to obtain the software?
>
> If OCFS2 panics the system (or anything "panics" the system), what is
> the expected system behavior? (I'm curious if OCFS2 would ever prompt
> or initiate a cluster node to be evicted/rebooted/etc).
>
> Also, Metalink note 391771.1 discusses a bug that affects RHEL4 (fixed
> in a later version than I'm running):
>
> "Kernel panic - not syncing: ocfs2 is very sorry to be fencing this
> system by panicing"
>
> It gives the option of using the "DEADLINE" IO scheduler versus the
> "CFQ" IO scheduler. Is there any impact associated with this change?
>

> Any help is greatly appreciated. This came up on me very quick -- and
> my 9i -> 10g migration is scheduled for next weekend. I'm in a pinch!

I you don't need a clustered filesystem to use for Oracle datafiles, I would go for Red Hat GFS. We are currently replacing AFS by GFS for our computational cluster (40 nodes). I'm not working on the project myself but I heard there were some performance and stability improvements compared to AFS.
See http://www.redhat.com/software/rha/gfs/.

Matthias Received on Thu Mar 15 2007 - 14:24:16 CDT