case-insensitive issues

From: <stvchien0_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 00:35:20 +0800

Hi,

  We're currently porting the database from MS SQL Server 2000/2005 to Oracle 10g2. After doing some research, we know that we can handle the case-insensitivity search. However, how about "INSERT"? Let's say that we have the tables as below.

CREATE TABLE MyTable (
ObjId NUMBER(2) NOT NULL,
ObjType VARCHAR2(16) NOT NULL,
Desc VARCHAR2(128));

ALTER TABLE MyTable ADD CONSTRAINT PK_MyTable PRIMAY KEY(ObjId, ObjType);

  How could I do a "case-insensitive" INSERT?

  For example, the second statement below will get rejected by Oracle...

INSERT INTO MyTable(ObjId, ObjType) VALUES(1, 'TYPE1'); INSERT INTO MyTable(ObjId, ObjType) VALUES(2, 'type1');

  Is the FUNCTION-BASED index the only way to go?

  Thanks for any advise!