RAC/CRS and OCFS2

From: Keith <kknauss_at_gmail.com>
Date: 15 Mar 2007 06:50:35 -0700

Hello RAC gurus,

I am currently running 10.2.0.3 RAC/CRS on RHEL4. All our database files are using ASM/raw devices. However, we now have the need for a clustered file system. This file system likely would not be used directly by the database, but requires high availability. So, we'd like to use OCFS2 -- which has prompted some questions:

Are there any conflicts or issues with running OCFS2 and CRS concurrently?
Can they share the same private interconnect? Would this be an Oracle supported configuration? If it is supported, is http://oss.oracle.com/projects/ocfs2/files/ Oracle's preferred place to obtain the software?

If OCFS2 panics the system (or anything "panics" the system), what is the expected system behavior? (I'm curious if OCFS2 would ever prompt or initiate a cluster node to be evicted/rebooted/etc).

Also, Metalink note 391771.1 discusses a bug that affects RHEL4 (fixed in a later version than I'm running):

"Kernel panic - not syncing: ocfs2 is very sorry to be fencing this
system by panicing"

It gives the option of using the "DEADLINE" IO scheduler versus the
"CFQ" IO scheduler. Is there any impact associated with this change?

Any help is greatly appreciated. This came up on me very quick -- and my 9i -> 10g migration is scheduled for next weekend. I'm in a pinch! Received on Thu Mar 15 2007 - 08:50:35 CDT