Re: alter tablespace read only hangs

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 14:50:29 -0500

Chuck wrote:
> Oracle 9.2.0.5.
>
> Session 1 is running "alter tablespace A read only;" and is hung. The
> wait event is enqueue. The lock tree shows that session 2 is blocking it
> and that the lock is on a table *not* in tablespace A. How can this be?

Before a tablespace can be READ ONLY, a checkpoint needs to be performed. This ensures that all changes to the data in that tablespace are flushed to the tablespace before the status is changed to READ ONLY. Unfortunately, this also means that all changes to any and all tablespaces need to be flushed to the datafiles. So this is why you are seeing another session blocking the ALTER TABLESPACE command. Wait long enough, and the command will complete.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net