Re: dbms_space_admin.segment_moveblocks procedure: purpose ?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 14 Mar 2007 11:39:03 -0700

On Mar 14, 9:59 am, "Michel Cadot" <micadot{at}altern{dot}org> wrote:
> "Spendius" <spend..._at_muchomail.com> a écrit dans le message de news: 1173884590.648412.145..._at_n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...
> | Hi,
> | This procedure is not documented. File $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/
> | dbmsspc.sql
> | says it "moves blocks from the segment header to the process
> | freelist": I'm not sure
> | I understand what that means. Someone ever used that procedure
> | before ? What does
> | it do ?
> | Thanks.
> |

> This procedure is undocumented and not public.
> You don't have to use it, above all if you don't understand its definition.
>
> Regards
> Michel Cadot

It's documentation bug 5330776. Whether that means it is supposed to be documented remains to be seen. Maybe someone should ask.

I would guess the procedure allows one to specify particular segments under the high water mark to be moved to the freelist. Perhaps one might want to do that if there are many blocks free, say after a mass delete, and one somehow cares that some are more important that others - say, if one doesn't want to load segments near the high water mark before shrinking, or otherwise wants to get around the round-robin segment choices that Oracle makes. Also called Obsessive Tuning Syndrome (though I wonder if there could be a situation where certain partitions are spread over SSD and SANS...).

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"Commissions are where intractable issues go to die." - Thad Kousser