Re: Oracle 8i - export all

From: rcyoung <rcyoung_at_aliconsultants.com>
Date: 14 Mar 2007 06:35:26 -0700

On Mar 13, 9:52 am, "Kris" <214kris_at_wywa1to_interia.pl> wrote:
> Hi
> I have server 8i and small database on it, now need to remove database to
> other PC (with the same Oracle 8i server), is there a simply way to export
> users, tables, grants, views, etc.(except data from tables) with some script
> or sth?
>
> thx for help
> greet Kris

As previously stated, export has a "rows=N" option for exporting just definitions with no data.

Your biggest problem may be on the import. If the disk/dir structure is different on the new server, the import will fail since it will be using the "old" disk/dir. You may need to "pre-create" the storage areas in their new locations, then import with ignore=y since it would otherwise complain about the tablespaces already being there. If you import with the list option ( I believe that is it, but I do not have the manual in front of me) , you can get a text file of the various sql statements that are "would be" executed, You can then cut and edit the SQL to precreate the tablespaces with the correct params.

Virtually ALL versions of export/import have problems when one imports roles,grants, and other dependencies. For example, it may try to issue a grant for a user BEFORE the item in question has been created. You may well have to run the import multiple times (all w/ ignore=y ), and then look over any of the error messages, to be sure that everything is in cleanly. Received on Wed Mar 14 2007 - 08:35:26 CDT