Re: Relationship between Oracle log file size and Oracle performance

From: NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 12:56:34 -0400

On 7 Mar 2007 07:56:39 -0800, "jshen.cad_at_gmail.com" <jshen.cad_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>hi,
>

> Last day, I cleared our Oracle DB server network listener's log
>file, which is around 1.7GB.
>
> After doing that, I found I/O queue size decrease A £Ì£Ï£Ô, while 'sar
>3 5' shows wio keeps be to higher than 65%.
>
> The oracle version is 8.1.7 running on HP-UX 11i.
>
> I want to tune DB performance further. So, I want to know whether
>this relationship between Oracle perfromance and network listener log
>file size ? Is there any relationship between Oracle performance and
>redo log file size? (Our current redo log file size is 500MB, there
>are two redo logfile defined, show I try to increase the size to
>1GB ? )
>

> each word will be highly appreciated.

Unless you have some oracle job reading the *.log files, their size is generally irrelevant. You do want to rotate the logs once in a while.

redo logs should generally be smaller and higher in number. .......
We run Oracle 9iR2,10gR1/2 on RH4/RH3 and Solaris 10 (Sparc) remove NSPAM to email Received on Tue Mar 13 2007 - 11:56:34 CDT