Re: connect system/password@xe doesn't work

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 11 Mar 2007 12:30:22 -0700

On Mar 11, 11:10 am, JL19..._at_HOTMAIL.CO.UK wrote:
> On Mar 11, 2:55 pm, "fitzjarr..._at_cox.net" <fitzjarr..._at_cox.net> wrote:
>

> > Comments embedded.
> > On Mar 11, 5:46 am, JL19..._at_HOTMAIL.CO.UK wrote:
>
> > > Hi, I am not a DBA, I am interested in Oracle (4 weeks experience
> > > mainly at work), and am moving from Windows/SQL Server to Linux/Oracle
> > > for my 2 computer home network for learning.
>
> > > I have a problem with my new Oracle XE installation. During
> > > installation I accepted all the defaults. My problem is that I can
> > > connect as some users from computer2 to computer1 (which has Oracle
> > > on it) but not all, specifically system/manager. I need to connect as
> > > system/manager onto computer1 from computer2 as computer1 doesn't have
> > > a monitor/vga card/keyboard.
>
> > Interesting. How do you explain your posted output connecting from
> > computer1, then?
>
> > > Do I need to set something somewhere
> > > (init.ora ??) or has my installation failed somehow. You will see what
> > > I have tried below for computer1 and computer2 and the Oracle error
> > > message I am getting. What I see tells me that the passwords and
> > > tnsnames.ora are setup properly too.
>
> > > Thank you
> > > John
>
> > > computer1 (Oracle XE installed. Suse 9 x86):
>
> > > sqlplus system/manager_at_xe CONNECTS OK
>
> > > sqlplus hr/hr_at_xe CONNECTS OK
>
> > Interesting this works without a keyboard/card/monitor.
>
> > > computer2 (Oracle client installed, Ubuntu x86):
>
> > > sqlplus hr/hr_at_xe CONNECTS OK
>
> > > sqlplus system/manager_at_xe GIVES THE FOLLOWING ERROR
>
> > > john_at_ub04:~$ sqlplus system/manager_at_xe
>
> > > SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on Sun Mar 11 10:35:19 2007
>
> > > Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved.
>
> > > ERROR:
> > > ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied
>
> > > Enter user-name:
>
> > It appears your remote password file may be preventing you from
> > connecting as system or sys from a remote computer. Still, if you CAN
> > connect from computer1 you don't 'need' to connect as these accounts
> > from computer2, do you? You reported you have no keyboard, monitor or
> > card for computer1 yet you post output from a direct connection
> > attempt from that very same computer. How can that be if, as you
> > claim, "computer1 doesn't have a monitor/vga card/keyboard."
>
> > Strange behaviour, indeed.
>
> > David Fitzjarrell
>
> Hello David and thank you for replying on a Sunday.
>
> > from computer2, do you? You reported you have no keyboard, monitor or
> > card for computer1 yet you post output from a direct connection
> > attempt from that very same computer. How can that be if, as you
> > claim, "computer1 doesn't have a monitor/vga card/keyboard."
>
> Oh that's easy to answer. I just ssh'd onto computer1 (which has
> Oracle installed on it). Computer1 doesn't have a monitor, keyboard or
> VGA card installed on it really, my desk really isn't big enough :) I
> could keep doing this but this would be a work around. I want to be
> [...]

Since you can connect to your Oracle database with accounts other than SYSTEM it could be you're using the 'oracle' account on computer1 when you connect via ssh and, by the rights given you by the dba group at the O/S level, any password you choose to present for SYSTEM is silently ignored and you're connected anyway. Thus you DO have an invalid password as you likely set to something else (something you have forgotten) during the database creation process. The simplest way to verify this is to change the SYSTEM password to MANAGER (not the best idea as that is the default password known world-wide and possibly even in other galaxies and it could open any number of security holes in your system) OR change it to something else (something less obvious and more difficult to guess) and try that new password from computer2. And now you ask, "But, gee, if I don't really know the SYSTEM password how ever will I change it?" One simply connects as SYS as SYSDBA (I would definitely ssh into computer1 to do this) and, from the SQL> prompt type:

alter user system identified by <some shiny new password here>;

As an example:

alter user system identified by th3rm1stocl3s;

Please remember what you type for <some shiny new password here> as you don't want to make changing the SYSTEM password a daily or weekly occurrence. My guess is your connection problems as SYSTEM will magically disappear once you have a new, valid password for the account.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Sun Mar 11 2007 - 14:30:22 CDT