Resize datafile not releasing space at OS level

From: <harvinder76_at_gmail.com>
Date: 9 Mar 2007 12:53:46 -0800

Hi,

We have an Oracle 10.2.0.1 database on RHAT4 test server and I resize the file from 100G to 30G and operation is successful and I can see in the dba_data_file it is showing now as 30G but on hard drive/ filesystem it is still showing 100G. So I assumed OS may release space when other process needs it but it didn't happened and other process failed for space reasons and also I rebooted the server but still no effect.
What can be the possible reasoning for this behavior and how to reduce the size at file system level.

select file_name,bytes from dba_data_files where tablespace_name='HS'; /data233/oradata/hs1.dbf 32212254720

-bash-3.00$ ls -lrt hs1*
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall 109521674240 Mar 9 15:49 hs1.dbf

Thanks
--Harvinder