Re: Relationship between Oracle log file size and Oracle performance

From: Andreas Sheriff <spamtrap_at_iion.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 11:49:42 -0800

"sybrandb" <sybrandb_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1173284810.472984.109310_at_8g2000cwh.googlegroups.com... On Mar 7, 4:56 pm, "jshen...._at_gmail.com" <jshen...._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
> Last day, I cleared our Oracle DB server network listener's log
> file, which is around 1.7GB.
>
> After doing that, I found I/O queue size decrease A £Ì£Ï£Ô, while 'sar
> 3 5' shows wio keeps be to higher than 65%.
>
> The oracle version is 8.1.7 running on HP-UX 11i.
>
> I want to tune DB performance further. So, I want to know whether
> this relationship between Oracle perfromance and network listener log
> file size ? Is there any relationship between Oracle performance and
> redo log file size? (Our current redo log file size is 500MB, there
> are two redo logfile defined, show I try to increase the size to
> 1GB ? )
>
> each word will be highly appreciated.
>
> Joe

In a properly maintained system the size of the listener.log shouldn't have any impact. However, the listener.log is only appended to. A listener.log of 1.7 Gb indicates a file which hasn't been recycled for years. Not a properly maintained system consequently. Also the concept of a listener.log has nothing, exactly nothing to do with the redo log. They serve two different purposes. I would recommend you start reading the Oracle Concepts Manual *now* (you should have done so a long time ago) before you are getting dangerous, and we can help you to recover your database. Obviously, the redolog concept and it's ramifications is explained at length in the concepts manual. As this is a volunteer forum, this is not the place for a free Oracle course.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA

No free Oracle course?!?!  That's not what it said in the brochure....