Re: Oracle in DHCP network

From: bdbafh <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: 7 Mar 2007 10:58:56 -0800

On Mar 7, 11:37 am, "DrSnap" <DrS..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I've just installed Oracle Standard Edition 10g r2 on a Win2k PC. and
> I have to admit that I am a complete noob with (Oracle) databases.
>
> During the installation the installer requests me to install the
> Microsoft Loopback Adapter, because i'm running in a DHCP network. So
> I did it (I assumed that I have to give the loopback adapter just any
> static IP).
>
> Now as soon as i reboot the machine, I run into trouble: Subversion,
> Synergy don't work properly and network access to this machine is very
> slow.
>
> My question is now:
> What will the consequences, if I disable the "Microsoft Loopback
> Adapter" again? (the Oracle documentation is very vague on what it
> will actually be used for..)
>
> thanks for some explanations!
>
> :DrSnap

I ran across this myself this week (10g R2 on MS win32). The OUI can't tell if the DHCP-assigned IP address never expires. One can't blame Oracle for attempting to limit their support load by preventing an easily preventable issue by screening for this during the pre-requesite checks.
If the scope of this install is simply testing on your desktop, check the checkbox and proceed (without installing the loopback adapter) - this falls under "it depends".

On servers, loopback is enabled by default and should provide access that is lower overhead than running on the actual network card. IPC and bequeath could also be used when accessing a database instance on the local system. Servers typically have ip addresses assigned statically, but can be assigned via DHCP but set to never expire.

-bdbafh Received on Wed Mar 07 2007 - 12:58:56 CST