Re: Is Primary Key always the index of the table in Oracle?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 6 Mar 2007 14:50:39 -0800

On Mar 5, 9:22 pm, "Kaka" <kaka...._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Can someone explain to me if the Primary Key always the same as Index
> of the table in Oracle? If not, how are they related? Thank you in
> advance!

Please read the Data Integrity chapter of the Concepts manual. You don't actually have to have a primary key in a table (though normally you want one). You can work with indices separately. The index is normally automatically created if you define a primary key. There are a lot of consequences, you should try out the various features in a test db.

It is a good feature of Oracle that you can separate out the use of the index, for example you can mass load data then generate indices separately.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20070306/news_1b6kintera.html