Re: Newbie Oracle Question

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 18:15:36 +0000

DA Morgan wrote:
> richard.drouillard_at_gmail.com wrote:
>

>> As for the Application Express tool?  I've tested it out as an option
>> for a current project I'm working on and found the product to not be
>> mature enough for a corporate environment.

> http://asktom.oracle.com
>
> To the best of my knowledge is built using HTML DB.
>
> Seems to be standing up rather well to very substantial traffic.
>
> Might I invite you to elaborate. What specifically are the issues
> is it that you are referring to?

I think the comparison with visual studio and access gives the game away. APEX is a great tool - but how well do you share development amongst a team, how do you do source control, how do you branch code trees etc. All the sorts of things that corporate IDEs and tools do for you and APEX doesn't. It's not the application that doesn't stand up to the corporate development but the development model.

That said of course many of the APEX apps can be built by a team of, er one, and it suits them well

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA