Re: Oracle8i - new machine

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 6 Mar 2007 07:46:51 -0800

On Mar 6, 10:15 am, "Terry Dykstra" <tddyks..._at_forestoil.ca> wrote:
> "Kris" <214kris_at_wywa1to_interia.pl> wrote in message

> > Hello All
>
> > I have runing Oracle8i server on Windows 2000 server, need to move it to
> > new machine, on Windows 2000 server or 2003 server - there is any friendly
> > for user soft to make it?
>
> > Thx for any clues
> > Kris
>
> Reinstall the software, create a new sid using oradim and copy all the
> database files over. Using the same directory structure will make life
> easier.
> If you want to go to W2003, you'll have to upgrade to a newer version (which
> you really should do anyways, as 8i has been desupported for a long time
> now).
> --
> Terry Dykstra

If you upgrade to a new version you will need to use exp/imp to move the data. I suggest you consider using exp/imp to move the data anyway even if you have no intention to upgrade if management of the database would be imporved by doing so.

Consider it the tablespaces are using dictionary management that by building an empty database you can convert to using locally managed tablespaces using either auto-allocate, great for vendor products that dump everything into one tablespace, or uniform extents which completely eliminates the possiblity of tablespace free space fragmentation.

Also if you have tables/indexes that should be in tablespace by themselves or otherwise moved using exp/imp would provide the opportunity to do this.

Upgrading to a newer version at the same time is a double benefit.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Tue Mar 06 2007 - 09:46:51 CST