Re: Newbie Oracle Question

From: <richard.drouillard_at_gmail.com>
Date: 6 Mar 2007 06:53:41 -0800

I'm a Jr Oracle DBA, but I have a web background and have programmed in ASP, JSP and PHP. Quite Honestly I find PHP to be the best of all the worlds. It's easy to learn and remember, has good Oracle support and (as of recently) is quite easy to setup. If you can program in any language you can learn the basics of PHP in a weekend and become quite proficient in less than a month if you are so inclined.

As for the Application Express tool? I've tested it out as an option for a current project I'm working on and found the product to not be mature enough for a corporate environment. It's pretty, installs relatively easy (something that can't be said for most Oracle products, but they are improving), but as someone who is used to coding, I found it to be quite constrictive. An analogy would be like moving from visual studio to access.

My advice would be to use JSPs or learn PHP.