Re: Find SID for oracle.exe

From: Jim Smith <usenet01_at_ponder-stibbons.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 13:02:57 +0000

In message <1173142749.107001.103950_at_n33g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com> writes
>On Mar 5, 9:11 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
>> Jim Smith wrote:
>> > In message <1173041871.506..._at_bubbleator.drizzle.com>, DA Morgan
>> > <damor..._at_psoug.org> writes

>> > Of course there is. It just might not be easy to find.
>>
>> One can use any oracle.exe to open any database. All one need
>> do is change the ORACLE_SID environment variable.
>
>And that is what the OP was asking - how to see which database was
>opened by which oracle.exe. Several answers have been given, I think
>the tasklist one only applies to XP or something? I don't see it on
>win2kpro.

Apparently it is XP Pro and Server 2003 only.

Process Explorer from sysinternals can provide the information. If you follow the process tree System | smms.exe | csrss.exe | services.exe | oracle.exe, it shows what files the process has open. Assuming you follow some sensible file naming convention, that should let you work out the SID for the process.

--
Jim Smith
Ponder Stibbons Limited <http://oracleandting.blogspot.com/>