Re: Suitable high availability solution?

From: Valentin Minzatu <valentinminzatu_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 5 Mar 2007 09:25:00 -0800

On Mar 2, 5:14 am, "GiantPanda" <GiantPa..._at_gmx.net> wrote:
> On Mar 2, 11:00 am, "sybrandb" <sybra..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 2, 10:36 am, GiantPa..._at_gmx.net wrote:
>
> > > Hi,
>
> > > we are looking for a high availability solution with as many as
> > > possible of the following
> > > features:
>
> > > - duplication of data
> > > - automatic fast failover (within minutes, not hours)
> > > - supports a large number of small (20GB or so) databases (including
> > > failover of all databases if the primary server goes down)
> > > - supports frequent structural changes of the databases
> > > - easy to administer (in emergencies also for non-Oracle DBAs if
> > > possible)
> > > - not too expensive
> > > - may be an Oracle or a third party solution
>
> > > Any suggestions?
>
> > > Regards
> > > Ingrid
>
> > Oracle Dataguard. Comes with Oracle and is free, and also fully
> > documented. Further info atwww.oracle.comwherethere is a special
> > High Availability section.
> > Not sure why people want to do exactly 0 investigation of their own,
> > before asking here. It is all there, and this forum is a volunteer
> > operation.
>
> > --
> > Sybrand Bakker
> > Senior Oracle DBA
>
> My apologies. I thought it would blow up this post needlessly to give
> a complete
> lists of papers read and software looked at before asking here. (This
> includes
> the oracle high availability documentation and third party products
> such as
> Libelle). Also wished to get an opinion not influenced by things I
> mentioned
> myself.
>
> We didn't find a satisfying answer as to the *practical* manageability
> of Dataguard
> with a large number of databases in case of server failure (when they
> all need to
> switch simultaneously) so far, that's why we are not yet convinced of
> it. In *theory*
> it sounds beautiful. One also doesn't get information about the
> weaknesses of
> Oracle systems from the Oracle documentation.
>
> Regards
> Ingrid- Hide quoted text -

Depending on the business case (req's) and few other factors (available infrastructure, distance between sites, etc.) one can create incrementally updated backups on a separate storage, mounted on the production servers, which in case of server(s) failure can be mounted and fired up on other machine(s). Received on Mon Mar 05 2007 - 11:25:00 CST