Re: when oci not present

From: Digeratus 2006 <digeratus2006_at_nospam.hotmaildotcom>
Date: 03 Mar 2007 12:46:00 GMT

"ton de w" <ton_de_winter_at_yahoo.co.uk> wrote in news:1172922448.719585.204510_at_s48g2000cws.googlegroups.com:

> Hello,
>
> I am currently commsioning a gateway that uses oci to connect to
> Oracle databases.
> If I understand correctly, when you install Oracle 9i (and up) on a
> box oci access is always present in the client libraries.
>
> But if you need to access it from a different box - the Racle 10g
> Instant Client will do the job.
>
> Am I right?
>
> TIA
>
> Ton

Tom,
It depends on your application. Oracle Instant Client comes with OCI, but some programs cannot use it. TNSPING and SQLPLUS (from the full client) cannot use Instant Client. Sql*Plus was repackaged to be able to use it. We have an ODBC application and PowerBuilder application which have tested successfully with Instant Client. I can only say try it and see. The Full Client is harder to install, but there is no charge for either product.

HTH
Andy Young Received on Sat Mar 03 2007 - 06:46:00 CST