Re: ora-00942

From: ton de w <ton_de_winter_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: 3 Mar 2007 03:40:56 -0800

On 2 Mar, 23:18, "fitzjarr..._at_cox.net" <fitzjarr..._at_cox.net> wrote:
> Comments embedded.
> On Mar 2, 4:29 pm, "ton de w" <ton_de_win..._at_yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
>
> > I have attached a gateway to Oracle 9i. After applying various sql
> > files to create the required tables.
> > So I start the gateway and it logs in OK.
> > Then I see an ora-00942 error - table or view does not exist sqlcode
> > -943.
>
> > Well fair enough- perhaps the application _is_ trying insert a view or
> > table that does not exist. The problem is I cannot see which view or
> > tables the gw is trying to insert - at least not from the application
> > or gw.
> > It is not a permissions problem cos I am logging in as system .
>
> Why are you using the SYSTEM account as your gateway login? Why on
> earth would you use that account to create user tables for this
> gateway?? This is a disaster waiting to happen, if it hasn't happened
> already. A new account should have been created for the gateway user
> and the necessary permissions should have been granted to this new
> account. Why was this not done? I can only presume this was
> laziness.
>

> > So my question is can I debug this at the Oracle end?
>
> Probably. I would be using event 10046 and generating trace files so
> you can see the actual SQL involved.
>
> > I daresay that if the insert was successful it could be audited - but
> > a failure?
>
> Gee, an after servererror trigger would do just that. I suggest you
> read the documentation athttp://tahiti.oracle.comor go towww.psoug.org,
> click on Morgan's Library and take a serious look at System Event
> Triggers.
>

> > TIA
>
> > ton
>
> David Fitzjarrell

Thanks very much for that David - event 10046 seems to be just what I need.
I take your point about the system user - but actually I am on a test box all to myself and any data will be test data from the gateway (when i get it working ;-). But I see now that I need a separate userid for tracing so perhaps I have been a bit lazy! Received on Sat Mar 03 2007 - 05:40:56 CST