Re: Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance goes beyond blocking ports. Is that a Microsoft-only defense?

From: Ramon F Herrera <ramon_at_conexus.net>
Date: 2 Mar 2007 17:05:58 -0800

On Mar 2, 6:42 pm, "hpuxrac" <johnbhur..._at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Mar 2, 3:20 pm, "Ramon F Herrera" <r..._at_conexus.net> wrote:
>

> > I recently installed my first Cisco ASA-5500 security box. It is a
> > very impressive piece of equipment, with a bewildering array of
> > capabilities. The feature that find most intriguing is that it goes
> > above (in the ISO/OSI sense) the IP, TCP and UDP layers, presumably
> > inspecting whether a message or packet contains a virus or other
> > malware.
>
> > What I would like to clarify, because is a matter of dispute among
> > some colleagues, is exactly what applications and operating systems
> > are being inspected. My buddies claim (more like a wild or hopeful
> > guess) that not only is port 1521 of an Oracle server blocked but the
> > ASA knows about Oracle exploits, and similarly it can check for
> > weaknesses on behalf of Linux or other Unixes. I find that very hard
> > to believe, and my counterclaim is that only Windows or other
> > Microsoft products have reached a level of disseminated infections to
> > grant the depth of attention by the security software.
>
> > Comments?
>
> > -Ramon F Herrera
>
> Why don't you test it out?
>
> That starts by constructing a test case and determine how this device
> allows/prevents/alerts ...

I would have to open port 1521 in my firewall to see if I can compromise it remotely. Then try to break into my Linux machines, and similarly for the Macs. I simply don't have the resources. It would be so much simple if Cisco published it explicitly: "all the anti-malware tools we have is for Microsoft products".

-Ramon Received on Fri Mar 02 2007 - 19:05:58 CST