Re: ora-00942

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 2 Mar 2007 15:18:32 -0800

Comments embedded.
On Mar 2, 4:29 pm, "ton de w" <ton_de_win..._at_yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have attached a gateway to Oracle 9i. After applying various sql
> files to create the required tables.
> So I start the gateway and it logs in OK.
> Then I see an ora-00942 error - table or view does not exist sqlcode
> -943.
>
> Well fair enough- perhaps the application _is_ trying insert a view or
> table that does not exist. The problem is I cannot see which view or
> tables the gw is trying to insert - at least not from the application
> or gw.
> It is not a permissions problem cos I am logging in as system .

Why are you using the SYSTEM account as your gateway login? Why on earth would you use that account to create user tables for this gateway?? This is a disaster waiting to happen, if it hasn't happened already. A new account should have been created for the gateway user and the necessary permissions should have been granted to this new account. Why was this not done? I can only presume this was laziness.

> So my question is can I debug this at the Oracle end?

Probably. I would be using event 10046 and generating trace files so you can see the actual SQL involved.

Gee, an after servererror trigger would do just that. I suggest you read the documentation at http://tahiti.oracle.com or go to www.psoug.org, click on Morgan's Library and take a serious look at System Event Triggers.

> TIA
>
> ton

David Fitzjarrell Received on Fri Mar 02 2007 - 17:18:32 CST