Re: Oracle 10g RAC crashes and VMware ESX Server

From: Chuck Whealton <chuck_whealton_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2 Mar 2007 05:27:14 -0800

On Mar 1, 11:33 pm, NetComrade <netcomradeNS..._at_bookexchange.net> wrote:
> >Does ANYBODY have ANY ideas on what could cause (probable) Oracle
> >clusterware problems on ESX Server? This isn't production, but it bugs
> >the living heck out of me. It can't be pure coincidence that I've had
> >problems on both 9i and 10g RAC on both ESX 2.5.x and 3.0.
>
> Besides what Daniel said (and I don't know if anything Oracle is
> supported on VMware).. Since you seem to have a cluster to play with..
> have you considered trying this with Linux or Unix nodes? You can try
> Unbreakable Linux... I never used it, but Larry from Oracle implies it
> won't break :)
>
> -a
> We run Oracle 9iR2,10gR1/2 on RH4/RH3 and Solaris 10 (Sparc)
> remove NSPAM to email

NetComrad and Dan:

Guys, unfortunately, I'm not in work today so I can't get to the RAC to rerun the CVU (Dan's posting).

NetComrad: Unfortunately, my facility is more geared towards Windows based systems. This differes from the majority of Oracle installations in my organization. Yea, I have some reasonably nice HPUX  boxes (running Oracle) but unfortunately, we're more geared towards Windows. Trust me, I'd love to do this on Linux. I do have a request for some money to replace our single K580 HP-UX box with a couple of smaller, faster, fibre based systems specifically so I can test RAC under UNIX.

Dan: It seems to me I did go through a verification when I installed the 10g clusterware. There were some items I had to cleanup and I did. Once I did that, it installed flawlessly and I was able to create a database, etc., etc. The only problems are the periodic random crashes (they don't happen often).

I also experienced this same behavior with Oracle 9i RAC under VMware, though in that setup, I only lost instances and didn't have entire virtual machines randomly crashing. Once it was put on real hardware, I haven't had a single crash or lost instance and it's been over a year now.

You are correct in from what I've read, this isn't supported. Luckily, it's NOT production. Still, I find it a bit strange that Oracle themselves send out RAC by example DVDs that make use of VMware's products. And I believe other people do have this working without the random crashes.

I'll see if I can get through the CVU next week, as soon as possible. If it's anything like my 9i RAC under VMware experience - it's going to return no errors.

Thanks for everybody's help and suggestions...

Charles R. Whealton
Charles Whealton @ pleasedontspam.com Received on Fri Mar 02 2007 - 07:27:14 CST