Re: How can you tell if an oracle database is open at the OS level

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 06:50:15 +0000

Massa Batheli wrote:
> Thanks for the great ideas.
> This database is refreshed nightly.There are no log switches in the
> DB except during a refresh.
> There was a disk crash which was missed.If there was a way to tell
> that the database was not running at the time that would have helped
> (More than one check).
> Remember DB can have issues and come up as mounted and at this stage
> the DB processes run.
> We would like to find something at the level of the OS that could
> tell if the DB is open/mounted.
> So that a DB admin does not have to log in to find that out
>
> Thanks for the fast responses

In the general case that you started with I'd check the alert log as others have suggested, or use EM - but you need to pay to be warned about the problem! In the specific case that you mention I'd be using the rman duplicate command and emailing the dbas the output. You'll get the error in the case of error and "database opened" in case of success.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA