Re: OCI Query hangs after approx 30min, but not at 28min

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 28 Feb 2007 13:22:20 -0800

On Feb 28, 9:07 am, dale5..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> On Feb 27, 6:29 pm, "Anurag Varma" <avora..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Feb 27, 6:35 pm, dale5..._at_gmail.com wrote:
>
> > > Hi,
>
> > > We have been tracking down this issue for a few weeks now and recently
> > > recreated it outside of our application using only sqlplus. To
> > > reproduce the problem we run the following script from sqlplus on a
> > > Win2003 client against a 10g Oracle 64bit Server.
>
> > > The sqlplus command never returns and appears to be simply waiting for
> > > a response. An OCI trace gives no more information either, just
> > > appears to be waiting for a response. There are no errors reported on
> > > the client or server.
>
> > > The problem is that the results are not consistent. When run from the
> > > same client against a diff DBs sometimes it works fine. Different
> > > client to the same server also sometimes works. Its not that sometimes
> > > it works sometimes it doesnt. For a given client/server combination we
> > > do see consistent results, that is it either always hangs after 32mins
> > > or always returns.
>
> > > The problem has not yet been seen against a 9i Server. This is also
> > > only happening at our Clients environment, we havent been able to
> > > reproduce the issue in house.
>
> > > Any ideas? Help!!
>
> > > DECLARE
> > > sleepMins NUMBER;
> > > BEGIN
> > > sleepMins := 32;
> > > dbms_output.put_line('About to Sleep for: ' || sleepMins ||
> > > 'mins');
> > > FOR idx IN 1 .. sleepMins LOOP
> > > dbms_output.put_line('Sleep iteration: ' || idx);
> > > dbms_lock.sleep(60);
> > > END LOOP;
> > > dbms_output.put_line('Finished');
> > > END;
> > > /
>
> > is database behind a firewall? If yes then you might want to check
> > firewall timeout settings
>
> >http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/java.102/b14355/apx...
>
> > Anurag- Hide quoted text -

> Thanks but I dont think this is a firewall problem based on some
> recent results. From the same client (running either 9i or 10g)
> against the same DB Server, but 2 seperate instances we get 1 test
> hanging and the other returning fine. To summarize
>
> >From some Clients (9i or 10g) to DBServer Host running 10g instance:
> Hangs consistently
> >From same Clients (9i or 10g) to same DBServer Host running another 9i
>
> instance: Returns consistently
>
> Could this be a Windows client problem, from the limited data it seems
> to be Win200x clients that have the problem. WinXP seems to work fine
> all the time.
>
> thanks again

Maybe there's just something fundamentally wrong with dbms_lock.sleep. See bugs 1842189 and (your exact problem) 2222425 (and always remember to be extremely detailed on client and server oracle versions and OS versions).

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"We're about halfway there." - Kevin Rooney, San Diego police