Re: Insert append nologging

From: Anurag Varma <avoracle_at_gmail.com>
Date: 28 Feb 2007 11:06:55 -0800

On Feb 28, 1:38 pm, Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bor..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Anurag Varma schreef:> Here:
>
> >http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14223/u...
> > <quote>
> > The default logging attribute is LOGGING. However, if you have put the
> > database in NOARCHIVELOG mode, by issuing ALTER DATABASE NOARCHIVELOG,
> > then all operations that can be done without logging will not generate
> > logs, regardless of the specified logging attribute.
> > </quote>
>
> > and Metalink Note:212119.1
>
> > Anurag
>
> can != will.
> It simply does not say "will be done".
>
> And the note is about direct load inserts; I thought it was
> well documented direct loads generate less redo.
> Note 188691.1 shows which operations can make use of
> nologging in order to prevent redo generation; switching
> into noarchivelog mode is not mentioned.
>
> The point is the append hint will cause less redo to be generated,
> not the fact that you run in noarchivelog mode. So in the
> context of the original question, archivelog has nothing to
> do with the amount of redo generated.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Frank van Bortel
>
> Top-posting is one way to shut me up...

ok .. now you are confusing undo and redo.

APPEND hint still generates REDO in archivelogmode. It generates MINIMAL UNDO .. and hence the redo for the undo is minimal.

So APPEND + LOGGING + ARCHIVE LOG will generate MORE redo than APPEND + NOLOGGING + ARCHIVE LOG.

Now When a database is set to NOARCHIVELOG, it does not matter if the object is set to LOGGING OR NOLOGGING. The redo is nearly zero.

Here, you might want to read this:
http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:8289905224297

Anurag Received on Wed Feb 28 2007 - 13:06:55 CST