Re: How can you tell if an oracle database is open at the OS level

From: Chuck <skilover_nospam_at_bluebottle.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 15:13:37 GMT

Massa Batheli wrote:
> Oracle 9.2.0.5 Hp UX
>
> Is there a way to tell if a database is open or mounted at the OS
> level (without querying the database dict) ?
>

> Thanks
>

> Massa

What is it that you're trying to accomplish?

If you are writing a script to test for db availability, just knowing that the db is open is not enough. It can be open but still effectively unavailable for applications to use. The listener could be down. The archiver could be hung. A dba could have left the db in a quiesced stated. I'm sure there are other things that could wrong with the instance too that would not be detected by simply knowing that the db is open.

Chuck Received on Wed Feb 28 2007 - 09:13:37 CST