Oracle DataGuard to prevent corruption?

From: Magnus Warker <magnus_at_warker.co>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 05:13:03 +0100

Dear group,

we encountered a serious problem with our Oracle database cluster. Data corruption occurred and a fixed set of records is not readable anymore. It seems that this was caused by heavy loads, but there still is no clarification of what really happened.

Our consultant made the advice to setup a new installation with a product named DataGuard. This would operate with two copies of the same database, and, when data corruption occurs on one database, we still would have the other one.

What do you think of this kind of workaround, especially from the point of view that we are already operating a high available database cluster, which would become needless in this case?

Thank you
Magnus Received on Tue Feb 27 2007 - 22:13:03 CST