OCI Query hangs after approx 30min, but not at 28min

From: <dale5540_at_gmail.com>
Date: 27 Feb 2007 15:35:54 -0800

Hi,

We have been tracking down this issue for a few weeks now and recently recreated it outside of our application using only sqlplus. To reproduce the problem we run the following script from sqlplus on a Win2003 client against a 10g Oracle 64bit Server.

The sqlplus command never returns and appears to be simply waiting for a response. An OCI trace gives no more information either, just appears to be waiting for a response. There are no errors reported on the client or server.

The problem is that the results are not consistent. When run from the same client against a diff DBs sometimes it works fine. Different client to the same server also sometimes works. Its not that sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. For a given client/server combination we do see consistent results, that is it either always hangs after 32mins or always returns.

The problem has not yet been seen against a 9i Server. This is also only happening at our Clients environment, we havent been able to reproduce the issue in house.

Any ideas? Help!!

DECLARE
  sleepMins NUMBER;
BEGIN
  sleepMins := 32;
  dbms_output.put_line('About to Sleep for: ' || sleepMins || 'mins');
  FOR idx IN 1 .. sleepMins LOOP
    dbms_output.put_line('Sleep iteration: ' || idx);     dbms_lock.sleep(60);
  END LOOP;
  dbms_output.put_line('Finished');
END;