Re: app needs 9i but 10G available

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 22:59:40 +0000

ton de w wrote:
> On Feb 23, 6:44 am, Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfi..._at_dial.pipex.com>
> wrote:

>> ton de w wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I will be deploying an application that "needs" 9i on Solaris, the
>>> only version that is supported. But the only Oracle db available is
>>> 10g (on Solaris 10). Should I just deploy it and hope it works? Or is
>>> there something i can do to ensure it is technically supported?
>>> TIA
>>> Ton
>> I see solaris 9i available athttp://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/oracle9i/index.html
>> making sure it is supported is a matter of discussion between you and
>> the vendor, you might well ask what their support plans for 10 are since
>> 9.2 becomes desupported in the middle of the year.
>>
>> --
>> Niall Litchfield
>> Oracle DBAhttp://www.orawin.info/services

> Are yes - sorry did not explain myself proper.
> 9i is not available on the client's servers - they could install it of
> course, but they are not going to.
> And the application vendor could, and indeed are going to, support it
> on 10g, in the next version, which is not ready yet.
> This leaves me try to get a proof of concept together.
> And I am not sure if is likely to work, 10G should be backwards
> compatable (?), Nor if there is anything I could do to maximise the
> chances of it working.

For a proof of concept it might be worth going with 10g, I'd still check with the vendor that the support status was 'we don't support it because we haven't tested it and are encouraging the upgrade' rather than 'we don't support it because we tested it and it blew up in our faces'.

as far as ongoing support goes, you are then into the business risk discussion.