Re: Designing database tables for performance?

From: Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 27 Feb 2007 00:15:44 -0800

On 27 fév, 02:38, "joel garry" <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:

> When were you in my shoes? Do you realize I was awarded "Go Oracle
> user of the month" for standing up to him 15 years ago (when he was
> unfairly maligning some poor guy who's management stuck him with some
> usual product). Kinda scary that some people still remember that,
> though.

> Actually, I agree with a lot of what Date and Pascal say, I just have
> problems with Pascal's elitism and anyone who says Larry Ellison has
> brainwashed people like me. I started on relational databases in 1980
> and didn't run into Oracle until '83. I _did_ purposefully throw my
> lot in with Oracle around '89 as I saw it gaining the upper hand
> commercially. How one gets from there to brainwashing is beyond me.
> And until about 10 years ago I did a lot of work (paid, not
> theoretical, sorry) on issues having to do with multiple db engines.
> After that it was a simple fact of life that Oracle was top dog.
> Perhaps that involved brainwashing decision makers, I wouldn't know.
> I certainly have had no problem saying bad things about Larry or
> Oracle when I feel it is relevant, and laughing outright at marketing
> BS. That's one of the benefits of being an independent.
Market based promotion never was a synonym with enlightnment. I doubt you ever challenged Pascal. You just don't play in the same league than guy.

Also It seems your *critisicism* with Oracle does not help much. As all direct iimages systems get worse year by year... Received on Tue Feb 27 2007 - 02:15:44 CST