Re: Need help with OAS and DB

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 26 Feb 2007 14:31:12 -0800

On Feb 26, 7:22 am, "learner" <Zabal..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey All experts,
> I am a Sun System admin and recently I was assigned a task to upgrade
> an Oracle 8.1.7.4 DB to Oracle 10g. We have a DBA and she will be
> doing most of the Import/Export stuff which I am not aware of exactly.
> My questions are that as a System What Do I have to in order to
> Install OAS and Oracle DB on Sun Solaris 10 servers?
> We have a two tier environment and the OAS will be installed on a Sun
> V490 server and it will be talking to Oracle DB sitting on an E2900?
> How do I make these two pieces of software talk to each other from
> Oracle perspective?
> Can some one help me with the installation of both OAS and Oracle DB?
> Thanks a million to all.

The worst thing a DBA can do is lose data. The worst screwups I have personally seen came from DBA's unfamiliar with unix, working on unix.

That said, the later versions 10 of both the db and and AS are much less fragile than their forebears. The AS is still the less forgiving component, however. What you need to do is go over the installation manuals in painful detail, until you understand everything, and be sure the DBA does the same thing. Then try it on a test system. Also see metalink for additional advice on AS, there may be some examples there. AS administration is quite different than DB administration.

Do you know how the clients are going to be getting information about the network? There are a number of ways to do it, I've seen some things able to use Easy Connect, it's so simple it can be confusing (especially mixing Oracle versions in dll hell). Is everything going through AS or are some 3rd party apps going around it to the db?

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/telephone.html