Re: proxy authentication and passwords

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 11:31:23 -0800

foothillbiker wrote:
> On Feb 22, 11:23 pm, "Jonathan Lewis" <jonat..._at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
> wrote:

>> "foothillbiker" <foothillbi..._at_gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> So, again, it would seem that anybody who knows a userid can login,
>>> unless we do something OTHER authentication along the way.
>>> REgards,
>>> Chas.
>> That is correct.
>>
>> There is a built-in assumption with this approach that the
>> end user first has to authenticate himself/herself to the
>> application server. (This may make proxy user seem an
>> odd implementation in the days of LDAP and SSO, but
>> proxy user has been around for a long time).
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>>
>> Jonathan Lewishttp://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com
>>
>> Author: Cost Based Oracle: Fundamentalshttp://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/cbo_book/ind_book.html
>>
>> The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQhttp://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/ind_faq.html

> Jonathan,
>
> thank you.
>
> so -- what to do?
>
> environment:
> - oracle 10.2.0.2 (or later)
> - app written w/ java (high probability of a product called
> "hibernate" in use)
> - desire for connection pooling (though typically < 10 users ever
> logged on)
>
> requirement:
> - data visbile to user is based on user, where "user" is the oracle
> username
> - data visbility enforced w/ vdb (or fgac or whatever you care to name
> it)
> - predicate/context on the vdb is the oracle username
> - users need to provide some sort of credentials (password) to prove
> who they are
> - desire for connection pooling as mentioned above
>
> I'm thinking there are plenty of people who have solved this issue
> before me ;-)
>
> Many thanks.
>
> REgards,
> Chas.

Look in gv$session and see if anything is being passed through that is usable.

Run the SYS_CONTEXT function with different USERENV values and see if anything being passed in is usable.

It is entirely possible that you underlying architecture has gutted your security. Welcome to the latest buzzword paradigm that is more hyperbole than usable.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington