Re: ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:37:02 -0800

joel garry wrote:
> On Feb 23, 1:28 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:

>> lazyboy..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>> It should be sysdba:oracle, but it's changed now & pls see the below
>>> for explanation.
>>> No, it's not the same, but does it matter?
>>> # su - sysdba
>> Second time:
>>
>> SYSDBA is a role inside the database ... it is not a user either in
>> the operating system or in the database.

> Daniel, you need to refer back to his original post. He _created_
> both a unix user and group called sysdba. Whether that is something
> that sends Oracle into lalaland is something I couldn't say, though I
> wouldn't expect it.

I did read the original post and made the same comment a week ago. I think the fact that a group was created named SYSDBA indicative of not reading the docs and understanding them.

Whether it confuses Oracle I can't say. But it seems to have confused the OP.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington