Re: Voting disks on NFS

From: Andreas Sheriff <spamtrap_at_iion.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 21:04:34 -0800

Here's the problem I'm having.

I'm running Oracle RAC 10.2.0.3.0 Standard Edition RAC on two nodes.

Each node has a gigabit interface for the interconnect and iSCSI over gigabit on two Promise shared arrays. Each node has 8gb memory and a single dual core chip.
Two of the voting disks are on each of the Promise arrays, respectively, and a third voting disk is configured on an external machine implementing iSCSI.

One day this external machine failed, consequently causing the voting disk to fail. Doing a crsctl query crs votedisk shows the last voting disk without a path.

[root@ ~]# crsctl query css votedisk

 0.     0    /dev/raw/raw3
 1.     0    /dev/raw/raw1
 2.     0

I brought the machine containing the votedisk back up, but it wasn't reflected using crsctl.

I tried deleting this erroneous voting disk, but there's no way to refer to a blank path.
Adding the voting disk back just added an extra voting disk, totaling four. I exported the ocr and saw the following values for the voting disks:

[SYSTEM.css.diskfile]

ORATEXT : /dev/raw/raw3

SECURITY : {USER_PERMISSION : PROCR_ALL_ACCESS, GROUP_PERMISSION : PROCR_READ, OTHER_PERMISSION : PROCR_READ, USER_NAME : root, GROUP_NAME : root}

[SYSTEM.css.diskfile1]

ORATEXT : /dev/raw/raw1

SECURITY : {USER_PERMISSION : PROCR_ALL_ACCESS, GROUP_PERMISSION : PROCR_READ, OTHER_PERMISSION : PROCR_READ, USER_NAME : root, GROUP_NAME : root}

[SYSTEM.css.diskfile2]

UNDEF : SECURITY : {USER_PERMISSION : PROCR_ALL_ACCESS, GROUP_PERMISSION : PROCR_NONE, OTHER_PERMISSION : PROCR_NONE, USER_NAME : root, GROUP_NAME : root}

[SYSTEM.css.diskfile2.2]

UNDEF : SECURITY : {USER_PERMISSION : PROCR_ALL_ACCESS, GROUP_PERMISSION : PROCR_NONE, OTHER_PERMISSION : PROCR_NONE, USER_NAME : root, GROUP_NAME : root}

[SYSTEM.css.diskfile2.2.0]

UNDEF : SECURITY : {USER_PERMISSION : PROCR_ALL_ACCESS, GROUP_PERMISSION : PROCR_NONE, OTHER_PERMISSION : PROCR_NONE, USER_NAME : root, GROUP_NAME : root}

[SYSTEM.css.diskfile2.2.0.3]

UNDEF : SECURITY : {USER_PERMISSION : PROCR_ALL_ACCESS, GROUP_PERMISSION : PROCR_NONE, OTHER_PERMISSION : PROCR_NONE, USER_NAME : root, GROUP_NAME : root}

As you can see, there are extra values past diskfile2.

I've submitted a SR to Oracle and they're working on it, but the sys admins want to bring down one of the Promise arrays. I'd like to create two more voting disks on NFS so that if they take down one of the Promise arrays I'll still have three out of five voting disks active and the cluster will remain up.