Re: read only database

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 23 Feb 2007 10:48:51 -0800

On Feb 23, 6:53 am, mana..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> On Feb 23, 6:27 am, "joel garry" <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:
>
> > On Feb 22, 3:34 pm, leobo..._at_gmail.com wrote:
>
> > > Can any body give full information about read only databases.
>
> > Ain't no such thing. Anything you try can be overridden by someone
> > with a clue.
>
> > You can bring up standby database in read-only mode, though. You need
> > to be more specific about what you really want to know.
>
> > jg
> > --
> > @home.com is bogus.
> > How a city can push back the IRS for a day:http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=167195,00.html
>
> Hello Joel,
> Even i had a similar question to ask,my query is what kind of support
> does oracle 9i provides for stand by or read only databases.is it
> possible that i make my whole data warehouse read only and make
> updates from an operational database?Sorry, if i do not make myself
> clear because i am new to this thing and needs this information for a
> project.

With physical standby databases you can alternate updating with read only inquiries. Some people even do things like have two standbys, so one can be caught up while the other is inquired against. A logical standby can be updated and read at the same time, but it is newer technology with growing pains on some versions. There are many other options, see http://www.oracle.com/database/product_editions.html and click on high availability, streams, standby, etc. I notice it says you can open a standby read-write then flash it back to a standby, never tried that. (I think the issue is that a flashback database opens with a resetlogs, and being able to resume a standby after that is a new feature for 10g.) There used to be a similar index for 9i features, searching about for it on oracle.com may work, if you can hit on the right search terms and it is still floating about somewhere. Metalink Note:269040.1 shows 9i features and options. You probably want to read the data guard concepts and administration manual in the doc set.

Some people want to have read-only (usually tablespaces or schemas, which some people used to other db engines call databases) for security reasons, and that can be difficult. The original post was too non-specific to tell, hence my odd response.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
What if everyone applied for credit cards using the same address?