Re: PL-SQL: Cursor definition with additional parameter ? reason/meaning ?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 22 Feb 2007 17:19:13 -0800

On Feb 22, 4:12 pm, Wern..._at_mail.org (Werner Mueller) wrote:
> I learned that a cursor definition in PL-SQL follows the schema:
>
> Curosr mycurosr is ...
>
> Now I found a couple of sample where the cursor definition is like
>
> Cursor mycursor (somevar VARCHAR2) is ....
>
> What does that parameter/variable defintion mean ?
> Sometimes even more 2 or 3 additional vars are defiend
>
> How can I use this variable.
> May I get an example on how to apply such a parameter.
>
> Werner

Does the term bind variables mean anything to you? You assign values to the variable and open the cursor so that the result set selected is filtered based on the value passed, that is, the value of the parameter(s).

See the PL/SQL manual for examples and a better explanation.

The manuals are available online if you do not have local copies of the documentation CD: http://tahiti.oracle.com

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu Feb 22 2007 - 19:19:13 CST